Cleaner Production Audit at Kagem Mining Canteens, Lufwanyama District, Copperbelt Province, Zambia
MetadataShow full item record
Cleaner production in the view of assessing the utilisation efficiency of raw materials, water and energy consumption as well as waste generation and management at Kagem Mine Canteens is a systematic approach aimed at operational improvements at the two Mine Canteens. This cleaner production assessment report of Canteens at Kagem Mining is a report on the “Investigating cleaner production opportunities in miners’ food preparation outlets in Kitwe, carried out in collaboration with University of Cape Town’s (UCT) African Centre for Cities and Copperbelt University’s (CBU) Chemical Engineering Department”. Further, this cleaner production audit report is part of the “Consuming Urban project” being undertaken by UCT’s African Centre for Cities. As part of the feedback on the seminar organised by the universities above (UCT and CBU), it was resolved that a CP audit aimed at investigating cleaner production opportunities in miners’ food preparation outlets in Kitwe be undertaken at Snack Time Canteen at Mopani Copper Mines. However, initial data gathering visits undertaken at Snack Time Canteen clearly revealed that an extensive cleaner production audit would not be possible, owing to the very low scale of operation and insufficient information provided by Canteen stuff. A decision was subsequently made, in consultation with UCT’s African Centre for Cities to have the cleaner production audit conducted from Kagem Mining’s two Canteens; the Senior Mess and Kafue Cafeteria. Kagem Mining Limited (“Kagem”) is the world’s largest emerald mine. It is located in Lufwanyama District, Copperbelt province – in the Lufwanyama emerald restricted area and is located approximately 50km from Kitwe. Kagem Mining is 75% owned by Gemfields Mining Limited with the remaining 25% stake held by the Government of the Republic of Zambia through Zambia Consolidated Copper Mine-Investment Holdings (ZCCM-IH). Kagem has been operational since 1984, but has been under Gemfields’ management from 2008. Kagem owns and operates two Canteens where food for Miners who are accommodated on a “boarding” basis is prepared. The two Canteens are the Senior Mess and Kafue Cafeteria, employing a total of 43 people.
CitationSundav Technologies (2018) Cleaner Production Audit at Kagem Mining Canteens, Lufwanyama District, Copperbelt Province, Zambia
Rights holderSundav Technologies/African Centre for Cities, University of Cape Town
- Urban/Rural